On the first Sunday in May, Bishop Brian made his first Pastoral visit to the newly established Parish of the Wollombi Valley in the Lower Hunter.
Bishop Brian, accompanied by Mrs Farran, was given a warm welcome by Father Graham Jackson and the Valley congregation whose membership is largely drawn from Wollombi, Laguna, Bucketty, Fernances Crossing and Murrays Run.
While the building of the present Church commenced in 1881, it was built on the site of the old schoolhouse which had been used as a school, church and post office for about 30 years prior to that, and has been in continuous use since it was consecrated by Bishop Pearson, the second Bishop of Newcastle in 1884.
Following the Sunday Service, Bishop Brian and Mrs Farran joined with the Parish members in a welcoming country morning tea before moving off to other official commitments.
This was a very special day for the people of this simple and beautiful wooden Church which is cherished by its Faith community.
-Wollombi Valley Parish